No matter what job you have there are some general guidelines for staying safe at work. Taking care of yourself at work is essential because harm or injury could prevent you from working and being able to earn a living. Here are a few tips to help you stay safe while working:
- Familiarize yourself with the risks involved with the job. Different jobs have different responsibilities and different demands on you physically and mentally. Make sure that you perform each task you are given in the safest possible way.
- Manage the stress caused by your job. This includes not only physical stress but also mental stress. Excessive stress can lead to a loss of sleep and even depression. Giving yourself time to relax and unwind is important as well focusing on just what you can control and not other’s problems.
- Physical injuries at work are often caused by bending over for extended periods of time or lifting heavy objects. If you repeat the same movement over and over again it can cause you problems physically. Also, consider changing your workspace up if you think it could cause you any harm.
- When using equipment make sure that you are following all the safety guidelines to make sure you are using it properly. If your job requires you to wear protective gear make sure to use it even if it doesn’t seem necessary.
- If you are lifting heavy equipment or loads make sure you are especially cautious. If it seems like it might be too heavy don’t attempt to lift it and risk injury. Back injuries are common when doing heavy lifting so make sure to use proper lifting techniques.
- Working under the influence of drugs or alcohol is extremely dangerous. Not only can this cause you harm but also put your coworkers at risk of injury.
- Be aware of your rights and don’t allow your safety to be compromised at work. If you feel that the conditions you work in are unsafe don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself and others.
To learn more about how to stay safe at work, read the original article here.